Heritage

Previous slide
Next slide

HERITAGE HALL | GUELPH, ON

Photography by Brandon Marsh Photography

It was a tremendous honour for our firm to be selected to work with the Guelph Black Heritage Society and help fulfill their vision for the Heritage Hall building upgrades in Guelph, Ontario.

 

The vision for the project was to reinforce the identity of Heritage Hall as a cultural and community centre within Guelph and Ontario. The building was expanded and modernized to create a multi-purpose performance venue complete with amenities, including a new foyer and public washroom, all fully accessible via a new exterior barrier free ramp.

 

The church was built by Guelph’s Black community in the 1800’s, for which many made Guelph home, after escaping slavery and making their way to Canada via the Underground Railroad.

 

The Underground Railroad was a network of routes and safe houses leading slaves from the American south into Canada.  Symbols, dance, songs, spirituals, and codes, were some of the ways that escaping slaves communicated with each other in secret, to help find their way north.

 

Quilt codes are said to have been a means of passing on vital information to escaping slaves.  Such quilts were embedded with secret meanings in their various geometric patterns and designs.  When displayed on clothes lines or fences, such quilts would act as guides or maps for fugitives on their journey to freedom.

 

The point of departure for the design was to view the addition itself as a kind of quilt code.

 

A structural grid made up of 9 heavy timber columns, was utilized as the organizational principle of the design.  Utilizing a grid system worked perfectly with the spirit of the project.  It provided a greater freedom to explore patterns, order, shapes, and repetition, much like the framework of quilt codes.

 

This grid allows for the roof structure to effortlessly float above the volume, and the exterior walls to weave through, and embroidered with shapes and patterns inspired by quilt codes.

 

The glass block pattern on the rear exterior wall spell the word ‘freedom’, in braille, along the barrier free ramp, which the Guelph Black Heritage Society have called the ‘Freedom Ramp’.

 

This project was nominated for the Ontario Association of Architect’s Queen’s Park Picks program, where Members of Provincial Parliament select their favourite building from their riding, to be showcased as part of World Architecture Day.


Click here

Previous slide
Next slide

LANSING UNITED CHURCH | TORONTO (NORTH YORK), ON

2-storey addition to a an existing historical mid-century church, including 1 storey below grade parking garage.  The new addition includes a new sanctuary, foyer, licensed daycare (96 children); meeting rooms, kitchen, and offices.  To preserve and celebrate the history of the original building, the stain glass windows in the original sanctuary were incorporated into the new foyer.  The front of the church includes contemplative garden areas and parking areas, designed to also function as an outdoor gathering area.

Completed under the certificate of practice of J. David McAuley Architect Inc.

Previous slide
Next slide

THE MODERN BRIDE | GUELPH, ON

One of several suites within the historic Petrie Building in downtown Guelph, Ontario,  JBAI prepared the design drawings and building code review for this interior renovation for a bridal boutique.  The boutique is approximately 3,200 s.f., located over multiple floor levels serviced by new stairs and an elevator.  The boutique consists of multiple bridal viewing areas, reception, offices, display areas, and amenities.  Sensitivity to existing interior heritage attributes was an important component of the space and were incorporated into the design.

INTERIOR DESIGN
Audelen Consulting/Design

PHOTOGRAPHY
Arnal Photography

Previous slide
Next slide

PRIVATE RESIDENCE ADDITION | GUELPH, ON

Two storey addition to an existing heritage home.

Previous slide
Next slide

MOUNT HOPE COMMUNITY CHRISTIAN REFORMED  CHURCH | HAMILTON, ON

Mt. Hope Community Christian Reformed Church retained JBAI to develop a masterplan to modernize the Church, which was originally built in 1876 and an addition in 1959, after purchasing the existing building from a previous congregation.

The first phase of the plan, construction completed in 2018, included modernizing the sanctuary space and upgrades to the main washrooms.  The sanctuary was mode more functional by reversing the orientation 180 degrees, and removing the pews for moveable seating.  Washroom upgraded included adding a new accessible family washroom.

The masterplan also includes for a future addition, yet to be completed.  The addition addresses the needs for a larger foyer and an elevator, providing a new identity to the Church that pays homage to its past.